Problems we can help you with

Types of cases we handle and problems we can help you with

  • Innocent Spouse Relief Requests
    Have you received a bill from the IRS for taxes from a joint tax return?
    Do you believe it would be unfair to hold you responsible for these taxes?
    Depending on your circumstances, your knowledge of the debt and other factors, such as spousal abuse, you may qualify for relief as an innocent spouse.
    We can help you apply for innocent spouse relief and can represent you if the IRS denies your request.
  • Injured Spouse Claims
    Have your tax refunds been taken to pay your spouse’s defaulted student loan, outstanding child support or prior tax debts?
    If so, and if your joint tax return shows you had income and made tax payments (tax withholdings or refundable credits), you may be entitled to request your portion of the refund. We can help you file an injured spouse claim.
  • Audits or Examinations
    Have you received a letter from the IRS telling you that your tax return is being audited or examined?
    The letter may state that the IRS is reviewing your filing status, income, deductions or credits. We can help you gather the proof requested, meet with IRS employees on your behalf and otherwise represent you during the audit.
  • Earned Income Tax Credit Appeals
    The IRS audits many returns of taxpayers who claim the earned income tax credit (EITC).
    Have you received a letter from the IRS denying your EITC?
    If the IRS determines that you should not have claimed the EITC and doing so was reckless or intentional, you cannot claim the EITC for the next two years. If the IRS finds that your actions were fraudulent, you cannot claim the EITC for the next ten years. We can help you appeal the EITC denial and protect your right to claim the EITC in the future.
  • Deficiency Notices/Tax Court
    Have you received a notice from the IRS that you have 90 days to file a petition in Tax Court? If you do not file within that time, you lose the right to go to court without first paying the tax. We can help you file a tax court petition.

  • Liens and Levies
    Have you received a notice that the IRS plans to file a lien on your property or a notice that it will levy on your property, offset your social security benefits or garnish your wages? We can help with the lien or levy. We can help you ask for a Collection Due Process Hearing and ask for a collection alternative.

  • Negotiations and/or Settlements of Tax Debt
    Are you unable to pay your tax debt? We may be able to help you by:

    • Entering into an installment or payment agreement;
    • Getting your account tagged as currently-not-collectible;
    • Making an offer-in-compromise (settlement);
    • Requesting a taxpayer assistance order if you are facing an immediate hardship;
    • Requesting a temporary suspension of collection; or
    • Challenging the tax if the time period has not expired or proper procedure was not followed.
  • Employee/Independent Contractor Disputes
    Do you have a dispute about whether you are an employee or an independent contractor? You may owe a lot of self-employment taxes. We can help you ask the IRS to change your employment status.